General Contractors

Best of 2014 winnerBest of 2014winner

Reviews for Royal Home Improvements

Carolyn from Mississauga
Carolyn from Mississauga

Bathroom renovation and baby nursery

My husband and I hired Royal to renovate our only bathroom and baby nursery. Being 6 months pregrant, I was pleased to hear from the president of the company that the job could be completed in two weeks with little disruption to our lives. He also ensured us that we would have a dedicated project manager to oversee everything and guide us through any decisions. What we ended up getting is a project manager who did not oversee his tradesmen properly, who rarely came to see what was happening at our house and hardly ever initiated status updates. The work was completed at a snail's pace and with shoddy tradesmen. I spent four weeks staying between a friend's house and my father's condo as the the work was completed. At the "inspection" we had a long list of issues that needed to be addressed. Here's a sample...almost all the bathroom fixtures were installed off center or unlevel, there was a missing part on our shower door, incorrect bathroom fan installation, and lots of debris left in our house including our plastic milk container which was used to mix grout! The nightmare continued as we tried to get our issues addressed. In the meantime, I had a baby boy. Delivering my baby was easier than dealing with Royal.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during this renovation. We know that renovations can be stressful, particularly when there are other renovations going on at the same time. Controlling the process was made more difficult when the homeowner engaged our trade directly. We resolved some of the alignment issues and offered a credit which was accepted on the others. Since this project we have taken steps to insure this type of situation doesn’t repeat.

Carl in the Junction
Carl in the Junction

Dining Room and Entrance Way Renovation

Our experience with Royal Home improvements was a complete disaster from start to finish. We paid A grade prices for professional trades and project management and got F level trades. Trade was so careless they didn't use basics like dropcloths. Work that was done had to be redone again. New hardwoods that went down were ruined the next day by trade who couldn't be bothered to watch his epoxy drippings, paint splatters or ladder - chunks out of new hardwood - paint and glue on it and dust everywhere. Brand new subfloor had to be ripped up and done again. Trade was caught drinking on site, would show up with tag-along workers who didn't work, including a brother-in-law who was more interested in raking leaves than finishing drywall.

We're sorry to hear about the negative experience, and, if this is the project we think it is, we're sorry it was so difficult. However, a relatively inexperienced Project Manager and a new trade caused some issues we tried very hard to rectify. As you pointed out, any work that was less than satisfactory was immediately re-done and we worked extra hard to ensure your satisfaction - we even brought in a cleaning crew to clean the entire Home top to bottom! We completed everything to your satisfaction and made sure all your fit-and-finish (even the cabinetry supplied by your vendor) was installed correctly and professionally. Since this project, we have taken steps to ensure this type of situation does not re-occur.

Peggy from Mississauga
Peggy from Mississauga
2.5/10

bathroom reno, 4 rooms painted,instal closet door

When we signed our contract, we were told that we'd have a crew of two for this job and a service oriented project manager. We ended up with a bricklayer by trade and a project manager who came to our home to manage the project only once. What should have been a five day renovation took ten and a half days. Our tradesman was running out of time to complete the project and so did things like grout the bathroom floor AFTER he'd installed the new baseboards. He told me he didn't like to paint, and it shows. The walls were only painted up to within a half inch of the ceilings and every piece of trim on the baseboards, doors and windows needs to be redone to straighten the sloppy lines. The vinyl trim on our brand new windows has to be scraped of the paint he put on them and when I realized he was painting this part of the window I asked him to stop. He taped off the final window so that only the wood casing around the window would be painted, but when he pulled off the tape, some of the paint came off the wood casing. "Where is the journeyman painter?" I'm thinking as I realize this man hasn't got the ability but I'm paying the "A" list price for this "B" list quality. I'm still cleaning up the paint he sprayed in my laundry room when he cleaned his brushes there. Again, where was the attention to detail I was promised? Oh to write a good review like the reviews that I read in the Royal info kit and online but it appears that some get good work/service and other don't!

George from East York
George from East York

Basement renovations and then some

We had approximately $40k in work done including significant basement renovations.

At the outset we were told the project would be complete in 2-4 weeks. The work took nearly 8 months to complete, with strong pushing required on our part.

About a month in, we stopped hearing from our project manager. Eventually we asked one of the subcontractors (!!!) and discovered that our guy had left the company. You'd think Royal Home would have let his clients know. Numerous calls and constant pushing from our side was required to move the project along.

The quoted priced was average compared to the other estimates we receved. Early on (and before we were disillusioned), we were asked to chip in a bit more for some excavation that had to be done.

Quality of the work done was quite high (once it was completed). The only blemish on the quality has to do with the fact that the sub that was brought in to do the excavation was hit with a stop-work order from the City, and was forced to redo some of the work.

We will not be going back to Royal Home again and would not recommend them to others.

I have personally searched through our files with regards to this posting. I have failed to find this particular project with the little information I have. I encourage &quotGeorge&quot to email me directly so we can identify the project and post an appropriate response to this posting.

Grace from Toronto-5324
Grace from Toronto-5324

6.8/10

Windows

Good work was done on windows and doors. Only there was that we had to wait a long time because was busy with other projects

Thank you!

202 – 2601 MATHESON BLVD E
MISSISSAUGA, ON L4W 5A8
Phone: 416-236-4400
estimates@royalhomeimprovements.ca

More about Royal Home Improvements

Finding your perfect home renovation partner can understandably be a daunting process these days. With so many options and potential risks, people are looking for a partner they can trust.

That's why Royal Home Improvements (RHI) retains single-source responsibility from start to finish. Our hand's on approach ensures your needs are met, from concept to construction. Whether architectural design, the quality of construction, or our strict adherence to timelines and budget, RHI guarantees everything we do and make sure that our customers are satisfied with every facet of our work.

Building trust takes years of delivering on time and budget. It requires committed professionals and a refined process model. But ultimately, it's about respect and owning ones word. This hasn't changed since we open our doors in 1969. Proudly serving the Greater Toronto Area, Royal Home Improvements today is one of the largest multi-phased renovators in Canada.

What can we do for you?