We have a 1950s bungalow in Oshawa with balloon framing (no insulation or firebreaks). I did a bit research before we decided on Envirotechinsulation. I found that two options existed to retrofit our home.
1. Remove entire lathe and plaster, insulate and then drywall.
A dirty, expensive and time consuming process.
2. Drill and fill. Have professionals drill holes in the plaster
or exterior and fill with insulation.
a. Cellulose was an option, but it does layer out over time
and requires a vapour barrier. Impossible to provide a
barrier and if it gets wet it will layer even more.
b. Expandable foam. Don’t let anyone talk you into this! The
foam will expand and crack the lathe and plaster or drywall.
c. airKrete. This product is ideal since it does not expand
so it won’t cause any cracking of drywall. It flows around
obstacles when installed which cellulose won’t.
We decided to go with airKrete (a bit more expensive). Mark’s crew of Stu, Charlie and Ed did a great job. They installed dropped sheets on the floor and furniture. They drilled holes from inside with a drill that had a vacuum attached to it. Very little dust and they cleaned up everything.
We also had the crew bring our attic up to R50.
My only regret is not getting this job done earlier when the federal energy grant existed (only received Ontario grant).
I would definitely recommend envirotechinsulation. I plan on having them back to insulate our entire basement once the grants return in the next year or so.