Empire Communities

Reviews for Empire Communities

Private User reviews Mississauga, ON

Annoying

Moved into house in summer of 2015
- Possible cracks in foundation wall covered up by floor to ceiling insulation in the basement. I wanted a cooler basement.
- Build only part of fences for corner lots but anything that touches other properties they don't do anything about and say you're on your own. And they only did this after I put "Fences Not Built" in Tarion 1-Year Warranty Form.
- They hate home inspectors.
- No attention to detail.
- They use "Paris Kitchens" - Ugh! Read their reviews.
- I didn't get a "Frame Walk"
- They put lights/switches in stupid locations.
- Standard finishes all suck so if you want a decent look to your house, you have to upgrade and that costs $$$.
- Tops of doors not painted.
- Garbage and debris buried around property and foundation during construction.
- No cabinetry in laundry room.
- No water meter installed until 30-Day Warranty Form Submission, so city back-charges me on an amount THEY determined.
- Hasn't started on top coat for driveway until it was mentioned in the Tarion 1 Year Form.

Candice in Toronto
Candice in Toronto

Total lack of professionalism

I had high hopes for my EMPIRE home. All in all the house is decently built. But finishing touches were messy or missing altogether (caulking left in the sink, caulking missing behind the sink, missing closet shelves, missing drain spouts, key for the garage door doesn't match the lock, outlets that don't work, etc.) After a lot of phone calls and chasing them around these issues got resolved. Except the garage door and outlet not working. I can be patient on a lot of things but when I pay for a house that I worked my butt off for, at the very least I expect good customer service. And Empire's customer service is HORRIBLE! They give the same bs responses thinking that I would be stupid enough to be appeased. There is never a straight answer. When contractors do show up there is never any notice. They literally rang my doorbell at 6am. When the notice did get taped to my door it was AFTER the work was done. After getting the run around about my sod, they laid it down during the hottest week of the year. Of course the grass never took despite diligent daily watering. (Pics included). The only things growing are the weeds. Then the people Empire hired to put up the fence posts tore up what decent grass we have with their machines. It would to cost me $1000 to have the lawn done professionally. The deck they built is made with splintered unsafe wood. It's crooked and looks like a blind 3 year old built it. I am embarrassed to have anyone come over because the exterior of my home looks DISGUSTING. I cannot believe Mike Holmes shackled his name to this builder. Had I bought at one of the more expensive developments then maybe Empire would give a damn about my home. God help us who already bought homes from these people. For those of you who are thinking about it, run far and run fast.

Jim from Binbrook
Jim from Binbrook
1 review Hamilton, ON

New house in binbrook

House is almost 3 yrs old.. You have to fight for any warranty work .. THe customer service people can't book any warranty contractors cause they won't call customer service back.. Stay away from Tom at empire. He is bs. Comes across nice but he is not.. I have grading issues and roof leak since day 1. They tricked the city into approving my grading.. And my back yard still floods. Roof shingles are starting to lift. Very disappointed in empire homes. I can't believe Mike holmes recommends them.

Private User reviews Vaughan, ON

New home

After many many delay's we closed. They switched utility companies and now the water heater rental is almost triple what the original supplier quoted. The term is 15 years and the cost to terminate this contract you are forced into is astounding. I closed with 50 items that needed to be addressed on the PDI and barely any of them have been seen to. I question if the lot is actually the size I paid for. I feel like I have been decieved. I feel as though they have tried to take every penny they can possibly get their hands on to the extent that it feels like thievery. And I feel that the home itself is sub-par and shoddy. The final product is lacking practicality due to them "cheaping" out such as doors open into each other and the dishwasher hook up across the aisle from where the dishwasher is supposed to be located (by their own design!) If at all possible I would strongly urge anyone considering to buy Empire to heed all the reviews on the internet, I wish I had.

Anonymous from Binbrook
Anonymous from Binbrook

New Home

Empire should be banned from building in Binbrook, I had over a 100 problems with my home when they turned it over to me so I put the problems on my PDI and Tarion and it took over 2 years plus many missed days of work to get the problems fixed. Its like pulling teeth trying to get things fixed and they have a excuse for everything. If you buy a empire home hire a professional inspector to look over your home when your getting it built if you have no construction experience. Do not let Tom into your house, he's the king of excuses, ask for Dylan or Jim.

I will never buy a home from Empire ever again, it was a nightmare. Do not believe the good reviews, those are people who don't have any knowledge of home construction.

The owners of Empire are also on the Tarion board so good luck with your warranty claim, the builder is on the board to protect themselves.

Virgil from Binbrook
Virgil from Binbrook

home

In September 2012, I moved in. I've had a great experience with Empire, and don't understand all the negative comments on here. I've had several minor issues (which are always going to be present in a new home), which were all repaired promptly. I love my house.

Anon from Binbrook
Anon from Binbrook
1 review Hamilton, ON

New home

We love our Empire home. Fabulous customer service and we've never had a major issue! Home is very well built and is what we expected. Some buyers seem to need to adjust their expectations. If you understand the reality that you are not getting a million dollar custom built home for $350k you will enjoy the experience a bit more. Lot sizes are generous for a new home.

Taryn from Binbrook
Taryn from Binbrook

Purchased a Townhouse in Binbrook

Empire has made us as first time homebuyers, the most disappointed regretful, unhappy people you can imagine. Do not buy from this builder- Do your research and find one that actually cares. Our front door leaks water- our basement (4 month old home) has mold growing in the insulation already- (yes, we have been running a dehumidifier from day one) They had our house key for 4 months to come in and fix all the other issues, like the trim work which is disgusting, or our front door, or the grout work of our backsplash, and did nothing. only to find out when we asked for the key back that they couldn't locate it. Yes, the lost our house key- and we had to wait over a week before they considered replacing the lock for us. They service guys showed up a half hour late to tell us they didn't have the part they needed, and that they would come back the next day- all this missed time at work hits the pockets really hard. If you want to see pictures of the "beautiful" work this builder does, please email me at findtaryn@gmail.com- If anything will stop you from purchasing a new home from these people, it will be these pictures! I don't want to see any other person go through what we are going through right now.

Kristen from Binbrook
Kristen from Binbrook

New home build

We purchased our home in August 2009 and took possession on Mar 2, 2010. We love our empire home and would build another in a heartbeat. Empire had taken on too much of a project that had delays and structural issues but that was not the case when we bought our home and has greatly improved since then. Everything was ready upon closing and we closed on time. Infact our washer and dryer were delivered on the day of closing and they did not have the washer and dryer we purchased available so we were upgraded to top of the line machines at no extra cost to us. I find that everyone complains about an unhappy experience but no one mentions the good stuff :). We weary with every builder I hear lots of complaints from the Other 2 builders in the area also. Empire was easy to work with and you have Tarion to back you up if you are not pleased with the on site service which I never had an issue with :)

More about Empire Communities

Empire Communities is one of Canada's largest integrated master-planned community home builders. Over the past 20+ years, we have built more than 10, 000 new homes and condominiums in some of the most sought-after locations in the GTA and Southwest Ontario. Our diverse portfolio includes neighbourhoods of beautiful homes, as ...
Looking for Builders pros in Vaughan?