Vancouver General Contractors

Vancouver General Contractors

Reviews for Vancouver General Contractors

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

House Renovation

I was introduced to Vancouver General Contractors by a friend who had a kitchen and 2 bathrooms completely renovated. VGC came highly recommended as an on-time and on-budget, professional design build home renovation firm.

We had a very devoted and dedicated project manager whom was in constant communication with us throughout the whole process who kept my wife and I in the loop with everything and maintained full transparency. The workers were very detailed, organized and professional. The build was on-time and on-budget and whenever we did run into unforeseeable issues or possible extra costs, they were dealt with promptly and professionally. We were informed right away and was always provided with affordable options for solutions.

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Kitchen renovation

Company was to provide 3 designs for a kitchen renovation. Cost was $2500 plus tax. Once design was approved, customer had option to have them do the renovation and design cost would be taken off renovation price. Company gave three deigns: one was of existing kitchen, one was my own design, one was company design but was not feasible due to structural issues in my home. For the money I paid I did not get any unique designs. Part of this process included how to deal with the flooring in my kitchen. I was advised
to purchase new flooring and install it rather than refinish existing fir floors. I found out after purchasing a custom run order of fir flooring, which the consultant was fully aware of and helped me
measure for , that it would have been cheaper to refinish the existing floors. More problems arose during the budgeting process at which time I tried to reach out to the manager to discuss these issues which the company encourages in their sales brochure.
Phone calls were made and emails were sent but it was 2 weeks
before the manager returned my calls and this was only after I
contacted the President of the company. We set up a time to meet and at this meeting the manager at one point accused me of saying the consultant was being untruthful. This was a very upsetting and disturbing experience. During the budgeting process, not one expert came to give advice. Such as flooring, how to install the built in microwave, which required some carpentry and framing advice, electrical, or plumbing, yet budgets were compiled based on photos and information given by the consultants. This may be ok in some cases but in other situations, an expert is necessary in order to give accurate information. This was not done regarding the flooring and the microwave installation.

Based on all of the above information and my experience, I would never recommend this company.

Hello J,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience and your feed back. Any feed back from any of our clients is always welcomed, as it will allow us to better serve our clients in the future.

I do apologize if you did not find your experience desirable with us, as we always strive to accommodate all of our clients and their renovation needs.

I did however want to touch base on some of your comments.

The reason we engage our clients in a design first, is to ensure that we are all on the same page. As there are a lot of moving parts and many different variable, we want to be very clear with our clients with what is and is not included in the renovation we are proposing.

When you approached us you were very specific with what you wanted, and had a set budget to achieve the work. When you engaged with us to do the design work, it was to ensure that we were clear as to what is included and how much all this work would cost exactly.

When we started down the road for the design, yes you are correct, we did provide you with 3 options based on the information that you gave us. The first design was based on your budget and how we can maximize your scope and give you as much of your wish list as possible. The second Design was based off of your ideas and what you wanted the kitchen to be which came in slightly over your budget. The third option was created by our design team to show you other option. Due to the size and restrictions of your kitchen and budget, we did not have the ability to really work outside those parameter as it would of driven the cost significantly higher than what you wanted to invest in the renovation, which you were vary adamant about.

With regards to the flooring, nobody in our office asked you to purchase anything, as that is what we do for our clients. I believe that with all the excitement of the renovation underway, you pulled the trigger and purchased the floors, before any design or scope was ever signed off on. Again I do apologize if you misunderstood, and we have implemented a new process to ensure that this never happens again.

On the other hand, the design process has actually shown its value , because you got an accurate price that reflected the work you wanted to achieve. Although it was over your budget, it's better that you find that out before, rather than in the middle of the project when everything is ripped apart. This put you in the drivers seat to decide if it was worth investing the little bit extra it cost to get what you wanted now, or hold off on the renovation for a little bit until the resources are available to you to do the full renovation.

Also we did work with you for over 3 months, to try to get you something that you would be happy with,but unfortunately you would not accept anything other than what you wanted exactly, and at the cost you wanted to pay. Unfortunately that is not a realistic approach. That is the approach a lot of unprofessional people in my industry take just to secure the job, then leave the client scrambling to come up with the actual amount needed to achieve the renovation.

We are never going to setup false expectations for our clients just to get the job. Our company is built on trust and ethical business practice.

After we realized that we could not give you what you wanted, I suggested that maybe it would be best to get other quotes from other individuals now that you have a clear design and scope of work. Again you found that to not be a reasonable request.

With regards to your statements that we have never has a expert come out, I find that a little bit harsh, as I have been doing renovation for over 9 years now, and renovated over 400 homes, our team of Consultant run all the jobs by me and I give them the direction they need to convey accurate information.

I do hope that you end up getting your renovation done, and if you do have any questions or need some guidance, as I have mentioned to you before you can always give me a call and I would be happy to give you my input.

All the best,

Hussain Khatheer
General Manager

Peter L. Vallecillo
Peter L. Vallecillo
2 reviews Vancouver, BC

Professional Service

Upon visiting Vancouver General Contractors website, I was greeted by a “pop up” live chat agent that was able to provide me with an email at VGC. Shortly after I sent the introductory email, I was contacted pretty quickly, within 24 hours, and I had a meeting set up with one of their project consultants within days of our initial contact. The level of craftsmanship that was completed by the trades was phenomenal. The Project Consultant and Project Manager, both of whom were very polite and professional did warn us that there would be some delays during our project however, they would be dealt with and managed accordingly. And to no surprise the weather did impact the timeline in completing the project, but the trades worked through the wet conditions to complete the project. I am glad I went with Vancouver General Contractors and would recommend them to anyone that is looking for professional experts in the renovation industry in Vancouver.

Troy from Vancouver
Troy from Vancouver

Garbage Removal

I’ve been using Keen on Green for years to remove garbage from renovation sites. They work multiple sites for me and perform a range of tasks but remain very economical compared to what’s out there. They are excellent and always do great work.

Sia from Vancouver
Sia from Vancouver

Job Site Garbage

I run a general contracting business and Keen on Green removes and disposes of all our garbage. They do a good job, they are pretty on time and overall I’m happy with them.

MB from Vancouver
MB from Vancouver

Home Renovation

The actual work that VGC did on my interior renovation was good and the finished product looks very nice overall, working with them was a good experience. Towards the end the worked slowed down although we did add extra work to the contract so this extended the project by a few weeks. I understand that renovations sometimes take longer than expected and our house is quite large but the end date we were told was the end of April and we’re almost at the end of June although we did move back in at the beginning of April There were a few warranty items and extra work we added to the project that extended it and there’s still a closet door to be re hung . the renovation they threw away my waste disposal that should have been kept but replaced it with a higher end product. It just seems that the project took longer then it should have taken but we are overall happy with the work that was done.

Review has 1 previous version

Hello MB,

Thank you for choosing VGC for your renovation and leaving your feedback for us.

I wanted to first start off by apologizing for any break in communication and or any miscommunication throughout the project. We strive to offer the best service possible, but from your comments it seems as though we can work harder to achieve that.

Also with renovation, the final 10-20% is always the slowest as there are a lot of items that need to be coordinated and scheduled properly. Also with renovations because we work with existing conditions, and more often that not, what causes the delays are usually items that are uncovered through the course of the project, that need to be addressed.

I hope you will enjoy your new home, and should anything come up, you have a 2 year warranty with VGC, and we will always be there to help you with what you need.

Hussain Khatheer
General Manager

John S. from North Vancouver
John S. from North Vancouver
1 review North Vancouver, BC

Home Renovation

VGC did a pretty complex renovation project for me that included turning my main floor into an open concept space. I really give the operations manager Bryan Sim a lot of credit for overseeing everything. The quality of the work was really good.

Bunny LeBlanc from Vancouver
Bunny LeBlanc from Vancouver

Basement renovation

We saw some windows that VCG had done in a neighbour’s home so we hired them. They essentially renovated my whole basement putting in a kitchen and bathroom suite and they really did an excellent job.

L. Cipriano from Vancouver
L. Cipriano from Vancouver

Home Renovation

VGC was ahead of schedule renovating our entire main floor, plus they took care of all the drawings and permits with the city which is a big headache that I never had to deal with. They respected the neighbours, they were professional, courteous and my wife and I are very happy.

Kitchen & Bathroom Renovation

Assisted Review

I hired VGC to renovate my kitchen and bathroom, and for the most part I had a very good experience. Natasha was my project consultant and designer, and she was absolutely great. She was attentive, knowledgeable, accommodating, and made the process fun! My project manager, Bryan, was very professional and organized, and I could tell he really knew what he was doing. I was often home during the renovation, so something about VGC that I really appreciated was that their trades were respectful of my home and kept me filled in on exactly what was being done. There were some supplier delays, but the VGC team did their best to keep everything on time and on budget. With the exception of follow up on outstanding items, which has been much delayed, I was very satisfied with my experience with VGC.

More about Vancouver General Contractors

At Vancouver General Contractors our mission is to provide our clients with an amazing experience in transforming their home into beautiful functional art that reflects the lifestyle they choose to lead. Vancouver General Contractors’ entire process is geared towards putting the customer first. Vancouver General Contractors’ Code of Business Practices ensures ethics and integrity are at the top of our priority list when serving our clients. We offer a fixed price, and a two-year warranty on our work, so the customer knows we are working for them. We strive to educate the customer through the complexities of the construction industry and build process to ensure the customer realizes their dream and their budget!

We are an award winning company specializing in green-built projects, mobility accessibility, custom homes, additions and major renovations. Call us for a free onsite consultation and we will bring your vision to life!