David R. Smith Design Inc.

401 Craven Rd. Toronto ON M4L 2Z5

Drafting Service
David R. Smith Design Inc.

Best of 2021 winner 7 timesBest of 2021winner 7 times

Reviews for David R. Smith Design Inc.

Rigid Frame
Rigid Frame

residential properties alterations and additions.

Rigid frame structural engineering firm has been working with David Smith for more than one year. We collaborated with them on many projects involving residential properties alterations and additions. David guides his clients through the planning of their projects with great deal of expert and patience. The way he combines his architectural and building code knowledge with his practical construction experience, makes him stands out from the rest of the crowd in the same field. David is a very prompt architect as well as cost efficient for his clients. We definitely recommend him to anyone who needs help and advice for any small to big construction projects.

Thank you Arvin for the kind words, I think we make a great team and I look forward to continuing to work together in the future. FYI: For anyone interested the approximate costs listed were their costs on the project, not mine.

Sameer from Toronto
Sameer from Toronto

2nd Floor addition design and permit application

We engaged David to complete the drawings for our 2nd floor addition and changes to the main floor. From the moment we met David during the interview process, we felt very comfortable with him. His knowledge on the design and permit application process is second to none. In fact, despite having met with several other companies, we hired David the next day as we knew right away he was the right person for our project. He took the time to explain the entire process to us including all the cost associated with the entire process.

During the design phase, David took into consideration our needs as well as provided some suggestions on several areas to fully utilize the space we envisioned and improve efficiency. We were able to come up with a final design very quickly, including last minute changes that were requested. We were very happy with the final design.

During the permit application process with the city, David took care of everything for us and represented us with the city. The city often finds kinks in plans and David was able to respond and provide the additional details immediately. Overall the entire permit application process was relatively painless, although it did take quite some time due to the several stages involved.

David was also very helpful during our contractor selection process as he helped to answer some questions contractors had. In fact, some contractors complimented us having such detailed plans available, as it made their job of quoting for the project a lot easier and accurate. After we selected our contractor further changes were required to the plans and David was very quick to respond and make the corrections and resubmit the changes to the city for approval.

Overall, we were very, very happy to have David on board to complete the design of our project. His attention to our project didn’t falter when the permits were issued and he continued to be involved with our contractor to ensure that all the questions were answered and the details are followed up.
I would highly recommend David to other couples looking to do large complex renovations, as we were quite pleased with his professionalism, diligence and attention to detail.

Thank you very much Sameer! As cliché as it sounds, its reviews like this that really make all of the work worth it in the end. You and Shez were a fantastic couple to work with, your design ideas and willingness to stay involved throughout the entire process really helped make this a great experience. Looking back to February it really was quite a journey; the initial design and Zoning Certificate, all of the work with Committee of Adjustment and then the final permit and construction drawings… all things considered it went quite smoothly and according to plan. I know you guys will love the finished product and I wish you all the best! Take care and keep in touch. FYI: For anyone interested scope of work fee was $4700 +HST

Tony in The Beach
Tony in The Beach
4 reviews TORONTO, ON

Carport design & permit

David was a pleasure to deal with, responded quickly to calls and emails and turned the whole project around from quote to designs and building permit in my hands within 2 weeks. I will definitely use his services again if the need arises and have no hesitation recommending him to others.

Thanks Tony, it was a pleasure working with you. All the best!

Frank
Frank

permits/drawings for a back deck

My family owns an investment property whose back mudroom was falling down. We decided to build a 2-tier deck to replace it and contacted David to facilitate the process.

He was very easy to work with-- going through numerous iterations of the design until we were satisfied-- and knew the ins-and-outs of the permit process. Whenever we had questions, he would respond quickly and provide alternative options that resulted in cost savings on the project. He has a wealth of experience in the industry which gave us confidence throughout the process. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again in the future.

It was a pleasure working with you Frank, thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the new deck!

Genecs
Genecs

Designing 4plex

In a nutshell, we will be using David again. He is an excellent communicator. He takes the time to explain every process and continuously adds value by sharing his ideas and experience.

Above all, is trust and professionalism. He has been phenomenal in this regard. Acting as an intermediary between trades, engineers, and surveyors, he has taken ownership and responsibility in ensuring things got done.

We strongly value the relationship we have with him and would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends alike.

When everything goes smoothly, it's easy to take credit and celebrate; I think a true differentiation in quality of service is how accountable and actionable people are when things go wrong. Thanks Gene for recognizing this and for the kind words, all the best! FYI: For anyone interested scope of work fee was $3500 +HST

Alek Mirkovich from Toronto
Alek Mirkovich from Toronto

Drafting Services

We just purchased our new home and needed some extensive renovations done. David was very easy to deal with, walked me through the entire process and was able to work on and complete the project within 1 week. He also got us our building permit in 4 days without any issues. I'll be recommending him.

Thanks for the kind words Alek, it was a pleasure to work with you. All the best in your new place!

Brad Nelson - King West Toronto
Brad Nelson - King West Toronto
2 reviews TORONTO, ON

Recording Studio and Office Design/Build

This is my 11th studio that I have either been part of or have had built myself but the first time that I have worked with David. My only regret is that I cannot travel back in time to have him be part of all the other ones.

Designing and building a recording studio space is a huge challenge when it comes to the structural needs of sound isolation. Room decoupling, floating floors and odd angles are not the norm. David's immediate understanding of these needs PLUS the absolute fantastic and creative input that he put into this project was priceless.

I am more than pleased with David, his work, his professionalism and his deep creative well. Please look for pictures of my space once it is completed mid-April 2013 @ Cylindersound.com. The work will speak for itself.

Kind Regards
Brad Nelson
Owner/Director - Cylinder Sound & Film - Toronto.

The opportunity to work on a project as interesting and as challenging as a recording studio is unique to say the least. As a client Brad is pretty much everything a designer could ask for, to sum him up quickly think rock star meets movie director wrapped into a guy that's genuinely interested in cool and creative things. Award winning and hugely successful in his own right, it was a great partnership and collaboration with the end result being something truly unique and outstanding. I am so excited to see the final space in all its glory when it’s finished and so grateful to Brad for the opportunity to have worked on the space with him and his team.

Just to clarify the Price & Advice figure represents the total construction costs for the project. My fee for the design proposals, permits and consultation was $3000.00 +HST

concetta principe from Toronto
concetta principe from Toronto

Kitchen Design

David's assistance in designing our project went far beyond what had initially been contracted. Not only was he prompt for meetings, and on time with delivering plans, and responded quickly to email queries, he helped us through to the final design which ended up being a process of several extra iterations. His advice with respect to helping us envision a stunning kitchen space within a limited budget was invaluable, and we plan to use him again in the future.

It's always a pleasure to work with clients that know what they want and are capable of making effective decisions. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this project and I look forward to collaborating again in the future. Best of luck with the sale!
FYI: Scope of work fee was $1500 +HST

Shawn Houlbrook from Toronto
Shawn Houlbrook from Toronto

Design/Drafting Service

We hired David R Smith Design to complete the permit application and design for our basement and main floor renovation to our bungalow. This request included a complete redesign of the existing basement - including load bearing wall demo/structural beam design, underpinning, and a new walkout to the backyard. On the main floor, we required a revised layout for the front half of the house – including a new kitchen layout.
From the initial meeting with David, we were very impressed with his professionalism, experience and ideas, and general customer oriented approach. After taking meticulous measurements of the house, he met with us at a later date to go over different layout options. Even though we were very happy with the initial design, we discussed with friends (one of whom is an interior designer) who recommended some revisions. When we talked to David about these revisions, he gave valid and sound reasons why these suggestions would not work in our space and for our specific needs and wants. We appreciated his candor and felt that his advice came from a genuine desire to fulfill our vision for our space. It was obvious to us that his initial design choices were well thought out and personalized so we went with original suggestions.
The permit application process was completely seamless with David. He prepared all the required forms and permit drawings (site plan, elevation, cross-section, underpinning, details, etc) on our behalf. We received our permit within 8 business days. I have heard from others who have encountered significant delays in obtaining their permits due to re-submissions that were required. It is obvious that David is very familiar with the city’s permit requirements.
We do not have anything negative to say about our experience with David. He was very accommodating (met with us several times after normal working hours) and was always reachable and responsive to any questions that we had. We would recommend David R Smith Design to anyone who requires permit drawings or architectural design for their home.

To Shawn, Randi & Olive, thank you so much for the kind words and believe me the experience was mutual. You guys had a clear idea of what you were looking for and were open to ideas and suggestions to help make the final result the best it could be. I hope that you love your new space, I know the house will be phenomenal and I wish you all the best. Keep in touch and let me know if there is any other way I can help.

Design/Drafting Service

This practice has supplied services in the Toronto and the surrounding area since 1986. Services have been provided for institutional, commercial, residential and industrial projects, both renovations and alterations and new buildings.
During the past ten years, David has been responsible for project drafting and has made valuable contributions to the design process. David has a B.C.I.N. qualification which allows him to provide drafting, design, zoning calculations and building permit application services. He is a highly responsible, conscientious and reliable person. The quality of his service speaks for itself.

To the entire team at Clive Brett Smith Architect Inc. it has been a fantastic education working together over the years on so many challenging and exciting projects. I feel like I have learned so much from all of you and look forward to continuing to collaborate on projects in the future.

More about David R. Smith Design Inc.

Providing an honest and relaxed approach to the design experience.

David Smith is a registered BCIN Designer with almost two decades worth of experience in the industry of Architecture and Design/Build. Specializing in residential additions, alterations and new buildings in the Toronto area.