Shortly after New Years, our existing cedar shake roof started to show signs of wear which resulted in some interior leaking. Weatherwise, this was the worst time to put on a new roof but once it was tarped, we started the process to look for a roofing company.
Landmark Roofing was one of seven or eight companies contacted and only one of three that actually got back which already put them above average. The process that Landmark went through to both understand our specific situation as well as to come up with a solution that addressed our needs was clearly above the rest of the field. Here are some of the factors that differentiated them from other companies:
1) They paid a site visit and not just looked at satellite images of our property.
2) They brought samples of shingles for us to look at.
3) They provided multiple options so that we can choose from a variety of different shingle lines.
4) They were prepared to explain individual details about aspects of our roofing that was unique and the solutions that seemed to make the most sense.
5) They were prepared to explain details about the shingle manufacturer and why they felt that this was the best choice.
6) They made a separate trip back with different colour samples so that we could see which one looked best.
7) They explained the safety procedures that they would take during installation including protocols around Covid-19.
8) Their proposal included information related to warranty but also to liability insurance.
9) Communication was clear, thorough, prompt and effective. Missed calls were returned immediately (i.e. within minutes if not seconds)!
10) The disposal bin was placed on wood blocks so that it wouldn't make a dent in the driveway.
11) The installation was smooth, quick but efficient. The site foreman would provide a summary at the end of the day to let me know what was done and what remained. He also let me know that the site was cleaned at day's end including sweeping of the driveway to prevent tire punctures.
12) What was promised was what was delivered including the time that it would take and the costs. Everything was transparent.
13) The crew was willing to help me understand if I had questions and they provided me opportunities to inspect the inside of the roof (I was thinking of upgrading some pot lights).
14) During the installation, I was able to observe many implimentations of safety including ropes harnesses and other safety equipment.
15) It felt like the entire crew worked really well together. There was a sense of collegiality that you don't see very often.
16) With reference to the above point, it wasn't just two guys working on the roof. They had many installers working together at the same time which in my mind, led to increased efficiency but safety as well.
I'm sure there are many more reasons why I had such a positive experience with this company. I went with them initially because of their rating on Homestars and on the Better Business Bureau and now I can see why they rate so high.