Great Canadian Van Lines moved my stuff from Vancouver to Winnipeg. They were fine in person: Polite, clean, careful. However, they were 3 days late coming in. They told me they'd show up between the 1st and 7th of September but didn't show up until the 10th. This was extremely aggravating because they gave me no notice they were going to be late and it took tonnes of work to try to get someone on the phone to tell me what was going on with my stuff. When I finally did, they told me they'd only be a day late, and then on the day I got a call telling me that it would an extra two days. I had to stay on a friends couch (since I had no bed) while I waited. I would have got a hotel, but I couldn't get a hold of anyone to find out if that would have been covered. When I asked them for a reimbursement for my trouble they tried to charge me extra for carrying my stuff up 3 floors (which I had already made clear when we worked out the cost). After a lot of awkward haggling with the driver I had 10% taken off my total bill (which was less than what hotels would have cost me). Would I use them again? Maybe... the price was right from the start. I would need assurances that my items would arrive on time with better reimbursement if not.
- Approximate cost of services:
- What could this company do to improve their services?
- Be on time. Don't have dishonest charges that you have to argue with driver about.
- Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
- Make sure that you get, in writing, exactly what they're charging for in advance (otherwise I would have been charged more) and what happens if they're late. Also, make sure they see the condition of expensive items in advance because the issuance will cover it only if the condition is documented.
- Company Response
Sometimes delays do occur in the transportaion industry and our dispatch and driver should have advised you of this delay. We do however have a late delivery compensation program that we offer to any clients that have been delivered late. Please contact us at 1800 665 0055 if you have not yet received your compensation. We will be happy to pull your file and confirm this for you.