I had a choice of two contractors to give me an estimate...a well known company or Ambia window. Both are highly rated in Homestars.
I selected Ambia for the following reasons: (Contract date March 21/12)
1. Michael is a very knowledgeable salesperson. He knows his product inside and out. He is very personable, he arrived on time for his appointment and there was no hard sale (only the normal subtle pressure, which is to be expected).
2. The product that he is selling is Canadian-made, seems to be statistically superior to others in the market, and the life time warranty is great.
1. Eugene came on time to measure the windows. He was a quiet, personable man and very thorough... he assessed each window inside and out to make sure that he has the correct measurements.
2. He went through the contract to make sure that he undeerstands what is included...in our case the bullnose sill was included.
1. It was a cool and damp day when they installed my windows.
2. Eugene came with an assistant.
3. They both worked competently and covered my Japanese garden with a plastic sheet as I requested. Cloth sheets were placed strategically inside the house.
4. One of the bathrooms has a bathtub underneath the small window. The tub was covered while the assistant was working on it.
5. There was a problem with the frames for the front windows...the normal frames were too small. Eugene had to custom make wider frames for the windows. He took his time and the frames came out just perfect.
Assessment of Work done:
1. There was a inch-long gash in the bathroom wall near the window (where the tub is) that was being worked on. It was very noticeable as the wall is yellow
Considering the work being done...taking out the old window and putting in the new one as well as the fact that he was straddling the bathtub...
I would say that an accident is to be expected. I can accept this minor problem and did not complain to them about it.
2. The major problem was the tidying up of the areas where they worked...on the roof of the garage, on the side of the house, and material that fell in the eavestrough.
3. As to the clean up ,I have to ask them to clean up again ....as there were still some remmants left.
6. As I believe that the work has to be rated on all aspects of the job, my satisfaction with the company is 4 but I will still recommend the company to relatives( with a caveat ) for a 5.
7. Total is 9.