We are seniors and recently my husband had a stroke and lost his sight to 50 per cent. We got the pilot light of our fireplace started but could not get the flames to come on. After reading on U tube and turning the dial to on still no flames so we thought it was broken.
After explaining to the service man what was happening he said he would fit it in. He was here for about 2 minutes telling me how old and ugly my fireplace was and then told me to turn the thermostat up. So I did and it worked. I was stunned that that could not have been done via telephone. He charged us $175 for the two minutes. I will give them a 1 for coming out same day.