Cactus Landscaping

Landscape Contractors & Designers
Toronto ON M2J 0A9

Facebook

Best of the Best '22
Best of Award '22 winner 4 timesBest of the Best '22 Best of Award '22winner 4 times

Reviews for Cactus Landscaping

josh123412
josh123412

Front Yard Parking Pad and Retaining Wall in 3 days

I called Cactus Landscaping to build a front parking pad. Kirill came by the next day to make an estimate, and he gave us good advice on the final design. Kirill was responsive to communication before, during, and after the project was complete.

The price was good and the work was fast and of good quality. We used the same pavers to match the existing mutual driveway, and it turned out looking good. We've gotten a lot of compliments from neighbors, who say "it looks like it's always been there." They also built a retaining wall using our existing armor stones to support the rest of the existing front yard.

The guys were friendly and hard working. They did most of the job in 2 long days, and then came by to clean up the last details on the 3rd day.

Big thanks to Cactus Landscaping, and I'd definitely hire them again.

Thank you so much Josh! That means a lot to us.

francis in
francis in

Patio Installation

Great Customer Service, always available for questions and very transparent throughout the entire process. They removed my existing deck and replaced it with a beautiful patio.

They worked within the timeframes I had asked and completed the job as per the agreed upon schedule. Clean up afterwards was great.

Highly recommended for anyone needing housework done!

Thank you, Francis. Was a great pleasure working with you. Looking forward to our future projects, thanks!
Kirill

Private User reviews Vaughan, ON

Landscape design and implementation

Contacted Edgar from Cactus group and got a quick response. Honest opinion and great design taste are the leading distinctive qualities here. Give it a chance and you won't be disappointed.

Thank you so much for your feedback, that means a lot for us

Raj in Markham
Raj in Markham

Tale of two worlds

I wish I could split this review into two. My project had two components. I had a paver patio installed as well as a wood gazebo, wood gate, and wood planter. The two types of work were different teams and I have very different levels of satisfaction for each. However, all the work was done by Cactus Landscaping and managed by Kirill.

For the most part, I was generally happy working with Kirill. From the initial estimate to the project nearing completion, Kirill was available by text for quick questions and clarifications.

Everyone at cactus Landscaping came in teams. Their vehicles were all branded and everything was very professional looking. They left my yard and the general area as tidy as you can expect, considering what was going on. Each day that the teams were in they accomplished a lot. I feel like making their deadlines is important and I appreciated that effort.

The patio and sod: 10/10

This team was excellent. The patio footprint was excavated and levelled quickly and accurately. The stones went down quickly and the guys did a great job lining them up to an existing patio. Kirill even was able to find the same brand used on my older patio. The colours are off but that appears to because there is a coat of something caked on them. Im not sure if its supposed to wash away with rain. Ive had a fall, winter, and spring however, the coating has yet to wash away. Overall, I think the patio guys did a fantastic job and I hope the colour of the stones eventually come through.

The wood team was another story. While the gazebo, gate, and planter look very nice, i cant recommend these services and I have various degrees of satisfaction with the end products. Again, at first glance, the work is nice but the wood guys just didnt execute what was expected.

The Gate: 9/10
Kirill and I talked about the gate: keeping the frame and door tight to the house and ground, the lock and handles. When the guys built the gate, they encountered an issue and rather than speak to me, they drilled a hole through the door and tied a string to a latch on the other side. There was no handle and the frame stopped almost a foot from the ground creating a huge gap, that would allow critters in (this was the only reason I had a new gate built). I asked the team to put my old handle on the door so I could open it and then texted Kirill to let him know I was disappointed about this. He agreed to get back to me the next day however, the next day I had to follow up with him. In the end, Kirill had the team fix the hole and put a proper lock on it.

The Gazebo: 5/10, looks sturdy and well built but not what we agreed on. I spoke with Kirill and we agreed on the gazebo size and height. We discussed the roof that would go on it, I had outlined that I wanted the roof to slope for both privacy and for rain and snow to be able to slide off on to the grass where the patio ends. The gazebo posts went in and I raised a concern that the posts were all very close in height. Kirill advised me that there would be a gradual slop but assured me that rain and snow would run off. After the top beams went up and before the roof went on, I raised concerns with Kirill and the wood guys about the top looking very flat. Again, i was reassured that rain and snow would run off. When the roof went on, I texted Kirill pictures of the top of the gazebo the morning after a rainy night. The water had pooled on the roof. Kirill texted me back saying, It will be accumulating a bit as the slope isnt very steep. But it is enough for excess water and snow to melt and drip away. I waited until after winter to write this and I can confirm that snow just accumulates and does not slide off. The water does pool enough to form about 100 small puddles that will likely be a breeding ground for mosquitoes. This is a beautiful structure that I wish I didnt build. The lack of slope does not give me the privacy it was intended for and worries me that Im going to have a ton of mosquitoes in my yard every summer. Top that with the builders actually ignoring my concerns and its just frustrating seeing it. Rather than piece of mind and privacy, i got the opposite. I mostly regret having this done.

Garden Box: 2/10, looks very pretty but the box frame and facing dont line up and the capacity is ridiculously small (due to an unnecessarily large frame). This was the last thing they built for me. Every time I look out into my yard, i feel buyers remorse about this planter box. It is a perfect example of what happens when your contractor hears you but doesnt care to make what you agreed on or correct/admit mistakes by this workers.

I asked Kirill about building a garden box. It took a lot of back-and-forth to finally land on the cost, size, and style of this box. Initially, he was charging me over $2200 for a box faced with fence boards.Then he was going to build a basic box with three 4x4x10 beams, stacked. I admit my error, when he had no pictures of previous work to show me, I should have backed out then. When we finally agreed on the planter style, the guys started to build the inner box of the planter. I noticed the inside of the box was much thinner than I expected. I went and asked the guys and they advised me to speak with Kirill. I measured the box and saw that the width was almost a foot short (for a box thats supposed to be 2ft wide, thats almost half the capacity). I texted Kirill. After some time, he responded and we had a discussion about the parameters of the box. Kirill said that the dimensions of the planter arent based on the capacity of the planter but the outside dimensions. I feel this is was a mistake on someones part because any reasonable person would expect a finished planter with a capacity approximately the same size of the planter box. Also, they were adamant about using 4x4x10 beams to build the box frame. It didnt make sense. The outer dimensions of the box were large but the inside had little capacity and definitely did not meet my needs. To top it off, there is a large gap between the planter box and the outer facing that is large enough that a small animal could fit! We also agreed on the location of the box and that it would be levelled. Instead, the box follows the grade of the yard and is slightly slanted. I literally hate looking at this thing in my yard. Its too small, incomplete, not level, and reminds me that Kirill didnt care to have his guys make it right while still in the building phase. Basically, these guys have built a very luxurious rodent condo in my backyard.

Overall, it is very hard to rate this experience. On one hand, Kirill was easy to talk to and he delivered on exactly what we spoke about in regards to my patio. I would 100% recommend Cactus Landscaping to build your patio. The stonework Kirill was accommodating and able to provide a way to make things happen. Heck, I tacked on two other jobs (door and planter) to the original project because I could trust this guy to come through - he was even able to accommodate and include some other things within the original project scope and cost, which i very much appreciated. Quite honestly, my backyard, prior to Kirill, was terrible and the work Cactus Landscaping did makes it completely useable. I do thank them for that.

On the other hand, the wood work services have left me dissatisfied and disappointed. Its almost like the woodwork Kirill was a different guy. i cannot recommend their work (though it is nice looking when you first see it). Sadly, I doubt the gazebo or planter are even fixable without a significant cost to me.

Denis in Richmond Hill
Denis in Richmond Hill

Backyard transformation

Thank you so much Cactus team for the magic you did to our backyard. I loved working with your crew: neat, honest work . You, guys, are my go to solution for all the similar projects in future. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Thank you so much Denis. It's a pleasure working with you.

Backyard renovation and pool installation

Thank you so much Cactus crew for helping us make our dreams a reality. Everyone worked tirelessly and done a fabulous job. Looking forward to spring and summer so we can enjoy our pool and cabana.

Thank you so much! It was a pleasure working with you.

Leonard
Leonard

Backyard update

Cactus Team was very professional and quick. They listened to all my requests and performed an excellent job updating our backyard. It looks great and ready for enjoyment this season. Highly recommend!

Appreciate your feedback.

San from Toronto
San from Toronto

Backyard Renovation

This review is long overdue. Over the summer of 2020, Edgar and his team transformed my backyard into a beautiful landscape based on designs that I had created. It was a challenging job with a lot of details and unique design elements. I interviewed many companies and what set Edgar apart from the rest was that he was willing to build whatever I could imagine. With other contractors there were too many limitations - they either worked with natural stones or concrete pavers (but not both) and none were able to do custom carpentry work which was a major element in my design. With Edgar, if I could design it, he could build it in any material I wanted. It was a one stop shop.

The job took months to complete and like any big job not everything went perfectly. However, when a mistake or issue came up they dealt with it professionally and with integrity. I will share this story and you can be the judge. One patio was built out of natural clay bricks that I had ordered from a South Carolina company in the US as I wanted an authentic English cottage garden look. The crew had almost finished laying the bricks in a herringbone pattern. I noticed then that the bricks were not following a straight line which made the herringbone pattern look weird. This was actually not the crew’s fault. It had to do with the fact that the bricks were handmade so they were not perfectly square and each one was unique so it was impossible to lay them in straight line. I was quite heartbroken about this but I told Edgar that I will just have to live with it. Edgar came on site to have a look and was not happy with the result either. He started picking up the bricks and relaying them until he came up with a way to lay the herringbone pattern at a different angle so that the lines are not so obvious. He had the crew lift all the bricks and relay them and that made a world of difference. I was genuinely moved that he fixed a problem that wasn’t his fault because he knew I wasn’t happy.

Once done, this is what Cactus built for us: beautiful natural stone retaining wall, first patio using concrete pavers, second patio using natural clay bricks, concrete bunker so that our hot tub could be half submerged below grade, advanced/custom carpentry work: garden gate, trellis, backroom screen, cedar fence, garden shed made of ipe wood. We are very pleased with the result and it will only get better over time as the garden grows and flourish to complement the hardscape and wood work.

Thank you so much San for such a detailed review.
It was a real pleasure working with you. Result is unbelievable.

Patio, stone work, retaining walls, planting areas, walkway, gate and fence repair

Cactus saved the day! We had a horrible experience with another contractor who left us with about 1/3 of our backyard project unfinished and the job site a mess. As we approached the end of the season, we resigned ourselves to the fact that the project would not get done and we would need to find someone to finish the project in the spring.
Looking through Homestars, we found Cactus who was not only reasonably priced, but was also able to help us out and get it done this year! The whole crew (Kirill, Edgar, Vladimir, Dima, Anton, Anmol, Yuri and a few more) were great to deal with. They were very collaborative, helped us find solutions to unexpected challenges and offered good design ideas to make the project look better than expected. We really wish we would have found these guys from the beginning so they could have done our whole project. We will definitely call them for any future projects.

Thank you so much, Adam! We highly appreciate your feedback and were glad that we were the best fit for your needs. And as always, we are looking forward for new projects together!

Janice in Toronto
Janice in Toronto

Full Front Yard Renovation

We engaged Edgar at Cactus Landscaping to help us renovate our front yard. We previously had grass overrun with weeds and we got tired of the weed maintenance. So we converted the front yard to a fully landscaped yard with planted areas and a deck. We had a design in mind and he helped us implement it. And gave us suggestions for materials etc.

Edgar’s team did an amazing job! We’ve gotten so many compliments. When we ran into issues he was happy to accommodate and make sure we were happy with the final result. We’ve gone through a full winter, spring and summer. Due to heavy rain we had some issues with some of our pavers. Edgar came with no hesitation to help us fix it and set everything right so we won’t have the issue again.

He is dedicated to ensuring a great project. You can tell it matters to him as much as it does to the client that the project looks great.

Would recommend Cactus for your landscaping needs. We love our pavers, planters and deck!

Thank you so much Janice for such a nice words.
Appreciate your feedback. We are always trying to do our best.

More about Cactus Landscaping

Cactus Landscaping is a full-service design, construction and maintenance company based in Toronto, Ontario. Through a refined process and proficient project management, we design and build landscape elements to address the individual needs of our clients.

***

As a full-service landscape company, we specialize in managing entire projects from start to finish, coordinating all components of your project. We offer creative design, quality craftsmanship and a first class service. We build long-term professional relationships with our clients, establishing trust and confidence that allows a stress-free experience. Therefore, we are deservedly ranked as one of the top rated Ontario landscape companies.