Black Tar Construction

Reviews for Black Tar Construction

Nik in Toronto
Nik in Toronto
1 review Ottawa, ON

Horrible customer service & didn't honour deposit and quote

They were very quick to get me a quote and accept my deposit with a promise of a "one of the first jobs in the spring". However in late spring when I called to get an estimate on my installation date the women I spoke to was very brash and could not give me any idea when the install may be. I called back 3 weeks later and was met with the same attitude. I threatened to cancel the whole job. Finally work started to happen and they showed up in fits and spurts with no real commitment to finishing the job.
Summary:
1. Charged me extra for work that was supposed to be included as part of the original quote.
2. Did not install full width and length as per agreement.
3. Refuse to return phone calls.
4. Made up some story about me agreeing to a sealing in the spring in exchange for the amount of paving that was not completed.
5. Install crew tried upselling multiple times during install.
6. Extremely rude office staff.

Sarah in Kanata
Sarah in Kanata
0 reviews Ottawa, ON

Driveway

Really great service. Came in to do the work in a timely manner and explained every step. Made it very seamless to complete my driveway.

It was a pleasure working with you. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

RR in Toronto
RR in Toronto
0 reviews Ottawa, ON

Blacktar for the Win

Excellent service and got the job done on time. I highly recommend BlackTar to my friends and family.

Thank you for the great review!

Paving

Excellent service, very friendly and competent, great work and customer relations! Highly recommended for paving

Thank you for the excellent review!

Amazing service

Great experience, hard working honest people. Would recommend to all my friends. Explained the whole process.

We were happy working with you!

Private User reviews Peterborough, ON

Drive way and garage

Simply professionals when it comes to their job

Quality is high and the maintenance for their service is amazing like they came back in 2 weeks to check if there is anything wrong.

Thank you for the great review!

Driveway Paving by Black Tar

My wife and I have been debating on getting our driveway paved for a while but the service we got from other companies were just not up to our standards. We put it off for a long time until we started experiencing some drainage going back to our house. We ended up calling Black Tar (and a few more companies) to obtain a quote as we couldnt put it off any longer. Out of all of our quotes, Black Tar was the only company to fully explain everything that would happen to our home if we didnt fix our drainage, but also made us feel comfortable that our home and driveway would be left in good but professional hands. They communicated with us the whole way through the project (as it had to be pushed due to inclement weather) but we were notified and not left guessing if they would show up or not. All in all, exceptional customer service from our first phone call, our quote, and job completion. Highly recommend black tar!

Thank you for the great review, you were wonderful to work for!

Private User reviews Ottawa, ON

Easy to deal with company

Very friendly staff and very professional. They came and did the work seemlessly. Everything was done contactless and it was very smooth.

We are happy to help, please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help!

Peel and Pave

Generally a poor job:
1. Grooves left in the asphalt which will likely allow water to infiltrate resulting in freeze damage during the winter. And it's unsightly.
2. Unsightly tar left on the sidewalk. Not technically our property but still unsightly.
3. Tar splatter on the the parging because of failure to protect against tar shoveled into the location.
4. Safety issues: No cones or traffic control around their equipment resulting in damage to a passing car.

They claim they are not contractually responsible for damage to parging and quoted their contract - see below. I'm not sure one can protect themselves against negligence. Think twice before giving someone carte-blanche to damage your property with impunity.

Q16. What damages are not covered by Black Tar?
a) Any damage caused to any softscape or hardscape, or anything connected to, or resting on, or against the work area (such as parging resting on the current paved surface), will not be repaired by Black Tar, and such damages will remain your sole responsibility.
b) Asphalt paving requires heavy machinery that vibrates. This can cause sufficient vibration in the ground resulting in some interlock shifting. Black Tar will not be responsible for any movement of interlock resulting from the project and such shifting and or damages will remain your sole responsibility.
c) The exhaust air coming out of Black Tar machines as well as the asphalt itself may melt, bend, or discolor plastic surfaces, such as carports and siding. Black Tar is not responsible for any damage to such surfaces, which will remain your sole responsibility.

They did not (to my knowledge) send someone to inspect

Shawn in Richmond Hill
Shawn in Richmond Hill
0 reviews , ON

Driveway paving lack of communication

Lack of response to their twice scheduled no-show's and the additional costs above estimated quote after downpayment .

Greetings from Black tar Construction!

We apologize for not responding sooner.

We would appreciate if you could call us back at 888-424-5455 in order for us to rectify and make amends on this issue.

Appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards!

More about Black Tar Construction

Black Tar Construction is an Ottawa-based company that offers Asphalt Paving, Interlocking, and Foundation Repair services.

Black Tar Construction was founded in 2013 with the goal of offering outstanding customer service for our customers and a great work environment for our employees.
The growth of Black Tar has been achieved through exceeding customer expectations year after year.
The customer is a priority every step of the way. Our commitment to quality has allowed us to foster closer relationships with our customers, suppliers, and staff.

As of 2022, we are a team of over 50 strong, with over 11,500 projects completed successfully in the past 10 years!