Gib San Pool & Hot Tub Centre

Gib San Pool & Hot Tub Centre

Reviews for Gib San Pool & Hot Tub Centre

Buster8
Buster8

Replace concrete around pool, liner, install achors for hard cover

We chose Gibsan after reading the stellar client reviews and speaking with people in construction industry. I must say that there is no dispute regarding the quality of work done by Gibsan. Unfortunately we did not receive the client service that other clients have. The project started at the end of Feb and finished mid June, 2021. Our project manager did not communciate with us during this period unless we sent numerous e-mails, texts. Workers arrived unannounced, they would begin the work, half way thru the project manager would send them to another site and a new crew would arrive to complete it. We under stood that the timing varies however a general timeline would have been appreciated. At the time of completion we had concerns that we requested be addressed before the final payment (all installments were paid on time as requested). On July 2 we were assured that someone would come to review our concern on July 5 so we paid. No one came until early September and only after numerous e-mails beginning July 5. We also had them install the anchors for the winter cover at a cost of approximately $1400 (5 hours of labour). We are not experts in this but seems High? The whole project was extremely stressful for us.

DerekG
DerekG

Terrible Service

Very Overpriced and Extremely Poor Service
I purchased a home which has a Gib-San built pool, cabana and outdoor kitchen in January 2021 and thought it best to have Gib-San continue to maintain the installation given they had been doing so for 7 or 8 years. What a mistake. They are either the highest priced or rank amongst the highest priced services in the GTA so you would expect superior service. The technicians they employ are very good but the staff employed in the service office are terrible. Let me provide some examples.
The service staff book your opening and closing for "the week of" but will not confirm the date until late the day before their actual attendance making it very difficult to be present should you not work from home and want to be at your home when the technicians attend. I was advised by the pool opening technician that I should add 2 bags of salt immediately after the pool opening with a third bag to follow in 2 weeks which I did. The salt cell was not generating chlorine so I arranged for a service and was advised that it was not working because there was too much salt in the water. When I advised that I had done exactly as I was instructed to do by their technician Gib-San still took the position that this was somehow my responsibility and agreed to refund only half of the $220.35 service fee. Gib-San has been closing the pool and winterizing the cabana and outdoor kitchen since they built it 7 or 8 years ago but when their technicians attended to close the pool October 2021 they advised that they no longer offer cabana and outdoor kitchen winterizing services. I contacted Gib-San to find out why they had not informed me they would not be performing the full winterization and was told I should have somehow been aware of this as it was not specified in the contract. Now I am having difficulty locating another pool company that will winterize the cabana and outdoor kitchen because no one seems interested in doing this unless I agree to have them also close the pool which Gib-San has already completed. Had Gib-San informed me that they were no longer offering the full winterization service, I would have made arrangements with another service that would. Again, their failure to properly inform the customer was somehow my fault.
This is not the level of service I would expect from any one in the service industry, particularly a service that charges premium pricing for their services. I will certainly never use their services again and would encourage anyone reading this review to avoid them. You will easily find better service at less cost.

Good Day,

We only opened and closed this swimming pool. We did not perform weekly maintenance of this swimming pool. We had a phenomenal relationship with the previous homeowner under the same procedures and management. When a homeowner choses to service their own pool ongoing, weekly water testing to check chemical levels is critical to keep the chemistry in ideal ranges.

In terms of opening scheduling and communication: We only book ‘the week of’. This is an industry norm. As weather and staffing can influence the schedule, we do not provide specific days ahead of the week scheduled. We contact the week before to confirm as well as the day before. Our work and schedule is greatly impacted by the weather outcomes. With rain days, the schedule will get pushed to accomodate. We hope this helps clarify this concern.

In terms of the salt reading, our technician conversationally stated that ‘typically you add around 2-3 bags of salt at opening’ when asked how much salt the pool would require after opening. A pool must always be tested before adding chemicals to treat water. As a pool is cold and the water level is lowered, the pool must be filled, circulating, heated, and tested before adding salt to the water. A salt reading will not be accurate until the water has reached a specific temperature range. As a homeowner who chose to service your own pool, the water levels must be tested prior to adding any chemicals or product. We refunded half of the service fee in good faith regardless of this to show our appreciation for your concerns.

We do not offer cabana or outdoor kitchen winterizing’s. As the agreement signed for the care of the outdoor pool (which includes all al-la-carte options) did not include the winterizing of the cabana or kitchen as an option, these were not closed at the time of winterizing the pool. It would make sense that a pool company would not want to close the cabana or kitchen without the pool. It is standard that a plumber would be called to close these water lines as they are not associated with the pool equipment.

We are sorry to hear of your frustrations. Please know that we appreciate each of our clients. We trust that the above helps clarify.

Anne in Toronto
Anne in Toronto

Pool and landscaping

Within four years of installation of my 7 by 15 foot pool, Gib-San has quoted more than $10,000 to replace failed equipment. My registered letter to them (in June) complaining of the circumstances has had no response. I have had to pay my electrician to rectify what their technician did to mess up the programming of the pool heater when I had them open the pool this year. They blame every problem on any the other contractor you may retain, so I felt obliged to have them back this year to open the pool. Also a trip hazard developed in the stone steps within a very short time. My request to have this examined and rectified also fell on deaf ears.
They are incredibly good at selling themselves and very efficient in taking your money but little else, in my opinion. I would not recommend this company.

It's sad to hear anyone has trouble with their pool. We quoted the necessary repairs however when you have other contractors service your pool anything can go wrong. We have quoted on the required repairs which this owner wants for free. That's not fair. In today's world some believe they can post poor reviews to achieve free service. Gib-San will not yield to online falsehoods.

Gib-San Management

Stacey Safran from Etobicoke
Stacey Safran from Etobicoke
2 reviews Etobicoke, ON

Concrete Repairs arolund pool deck

I called GibSan twice to discuss the concrete cracking around my pool (they installed it years ago). I spoke to the owner of the company (an older gentleman) who was down right rude to me on the phone and wanted to charge me $350.00 to come out and see what the problem is. I hung up wondering how this company is still in business. I had to discuss another issue with them, this is a year later and again, had to do with the concrete, and a different person called me back. He basically told me I should be calling another company. I will NEVER set foot into that place again.

SteveN from Mississauga
SteveN from Mississauga

Complete pool makeover

This is a lengthy review but two seasons and $120k isn't like having the windows replaced.

Our pool is circa 1971 measuring 20x40 plus an 11ft circle on the corner and has been the most expensive lesson in why I wouldn't waive inspection in the future, especially if there's a pool involved.

We met John from Gib-San at the Home Show in 2014. He recognized the pool as a Sanelli and was eager to work with us on designs. We didn't make a commitment but after opening the pool and losing an inch of water overnight I knew we had to move up the pool work. We developed a two year plan with John as the work required was extensive and costly.

In year one the plan was to replace the wall tiles, lift the concrete deck and replace it with interloc, remove and clean the coping plus pressure testing of the returns. Of course the pressure test failed so we added replacement of the returns and a new lighting system since the trench would be dug. The original timeframe quoted was 6 weeks, which became a frustrating 3+ months.

The on-site Gib-San crew were efficient at their work except when digging the trench and cutting through the backwash line. This wasn't caught until this phase was done and their only offer was to give me 100 ft of hose that I have to roll out to the street - I grit my teeth at them every time I have to backwash.

QC'ing of material leaving the warehouse indicates that you have to confirm all material before it's installed. I fortunately was the general contractor for this and had I not been on site we would have ended up with two different shades of tile in the pool and two shades of interloc. Both would have been costly or permanent errors.

The real challenge comes from the sub-contractors they bring on site. The tile installer would show up and within a half hour get pulled away from this job by Mario the project manager to work on another job of apparently somebody who was more unhappier than I was. For days he'd say that he'd be done in a week - it took 3.5 weeks. Many times commitments were made by Mario of workers supposedly going to be onsite only to have them no-show. Their interloc sub-contractor didn't wet cut, covering the neighbourhood in dust for days. They did a great job on some of the coping yet poor on a few others. They left us with grey instead of black interloc and their best solution was to blast all the polymer out and walk away.

With their sub-contractors come some pretty hefty mark-ups. Example 1: their electrician/gas vendor quote was over $12k for the required work. Three reputable electrician companies, each with an extensive depth of experience with pools all came in a full 50% below the Gib-San quote. Example 2: they quoted $30k to install 750 sq ft of interloc to extend the pool deck and walkway. Another very reputable company installed the interloc for $10k and did a much better job than Gib-San's sub-contractor and who I'll bring back next year to clean up the Gib-San work.

Note that Gib-San doesn't appreciate it if you don't use their suppliers - Mario did some light smack talking to my electrician while I was away questioning his knowledge. Mario also tried to pressure him to speed up the work to make up for their short fall in managing resources. I actually had to 'fire' Mario as the PM after this incident and the failed commitments.

This year was installing tile on the pool steps and covering the surface with Pebble Tec.

The onsite Gib-San crew were very efficient and left a clean site when they were done. The nightmare came when it was time to install the Pebble-Tec. They didn't begin the work until 4pm and had a truck with a noisy generator running in front of the house until 11pm. I didn't understand why they told me a story about having the police called on them at a past job until it got to be 8pm and they were nowhere near finished. We had to go door-to-door and profusely apologize to each of our neighbours for what they were enduring. The crew didn't finish until 2am!! It was suggested a bottle of wine for each neighbour might be in order to which they agreed but nothing was ever delivered.

The Pebble-Tec looks great once you've put in 30 days of hard work that they don't tell you about until it's being blown in. When the water was being added a chip came off the wall. I've written to John, who has written to Peter at Pebble-Tec over a month ago and am still waiting for a response.

This year's project manager was Mark, who was better but appeared to be a bit more interested in whatever side work he had going on. After last year I was firm when I established a maximum window for the work to be done and it was completed within that timeframe. I discovered that the PM's are commissioned on whatever they can sell you after you've signed the contract, which explained the pressure to replace the skimmer that wasn't part of the deal last year.

Overall we love the final product but my opinion is that Gib-San is good at talking and getting you to spend money. I certainly wouldn't say that we got good value for our money or that they're the most effective at managing resources or problem solving. For Gib-San it seems to be about the money and the awards filling the walls.

Kim from Toronto
Kim from Toronto

hot tub supplies and water testing

I've always found everyone at GibSan very friendly and knowledgeable. I go in regularly for water testing (free) and always get good/prompt service, with all my questions answered. Prices are reasonable for hot tub chemicals.

Stephen G from Toronto
Stephen G from Toronto

new pool and landscape

Gib-san Pools constructed a new pool; front and backyard landscaping ;new driveway. Pool constructed without proper backflow venting. Heater installed without fresh air supply. Water from driveway drains INTO garage. Granite slabs cracked in multiple places after 1 year. We were denied service for heater repair because we switched to another company ( 50% less costly) for yearly maintenance. Told we were not loyal customers. Beware of Gib San. Shameful.

Hugh from Toronto
Hugh from Toronto
1 review North York, ON

concrete swimming pool refurbishment

We installed our pool 30+ years ago and this spring contracted with GibSan to give it a major facelift. From the first call I made to GibSan I found them to be responsive, direct, cooperative and appropriately priced. Three other companies, including the one which had installed the pool originally did not follow up at all to my request for an assessment and quotation.to do the work.
The work was started immediately after we signed a contract and was completed on time for the quoted price. Any issues arising, which were few, were immediately dealt with completely to my satisfaction.
Based on my experience, I would unhesitatingly recommend GibSan to others considering a pool installation or upgrading an existing one. Special thanks to Peter who was my principal contact with GibSan. Others on the team were also impressive

Amy from Toronto
Amy from Toronto
3 reviews Etobicoke, ON

Pool Opening

Gib San pools requires credit card information before their services. I asked for a Spring Pool Opening at an agreed cost of $379. The service was done poorly and they billed my credit card for over $1000 and are not returning my calls or providing the refund required. I had to use another company to open the pool as their work was so bad. These guys can't be trusted.

You reversed your visa even after we send out a partial credit. WE did respond to you and issued a credit. We have spoken to you on June, 19, 26, 27,30, July 3, and 11th. In addition, you signed a contracted. You have spoken to our client care people prior to the opening many times as well. You were aware there would be additional costs. We did close the pool for the previous owner. We did not do the solar winterizing. You did not give us an opportunity to even look at the broken pipes. You needed many parts as the pool is old. In addition, there was 17 bags of leaves removed from your pool. It was a very bad winter and part of the cover had fallen in. That we cannot be held responsible for. I have NEVER received a call from you. I would be happy to speak to you and to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Danny from Toronto
Danny from Toronto

Hot Tub purchase/install

The Gib San team was amazing from when I first stepped in their showroom, to when they left my property after installation. This is my first hot tub, and they helped me pick out exactly what I needed, and they delivered it in a very short time. When they arrived for the delivery, my house was chaos with construction - they were the most pleasant finding a way around all our obstacles without a hiccup or negative emotion. They then educated me on how to fill, use, and maintain the tub in a short amount of time, all with smiles on their faces wishing me a happy summer in my new tub. Overall, I had a great experience and I can't wait to spend my summer in my new hot tub. Thank you Gib San!!!

More about Gib San Pool & Hot Tub Centre

One source – from design to landscaping – Gib-San can build you a pool, but better yet, let us create a breathtaking backyard resort from concept to pool and landscape installation. A Gib-San plan considers the surrounding environment – ensuring the pool and landscaping work seamlessly together. We take the ...
Looking for Landscape Contractors & Designers pros in Burlington?