Mersey Heating And Air Conditioning

Anna Humphrey from East York
Anna Humphrey from East York
1 review East York, ON

New Furnace

Service Experts/Mersey Heating installed a new medium efficiency furnace in our home in the winter of 2013. It was a horrible experience from start to finish. Not only did they use high pressure sales tactics (i.e., tagging our old furnace for safety issues and then failing to show up for follow-up appointments until the city was threatening to shut off our gas supply, then telling us at the last minute that we needed to replace the whole furnace--and, wouldn't you know it, they could do it for us the very next day?!). We really should have known better at that point, but we were feeling out of options, so we went ahead. The installation work was also awful. They managed to break our laundry sink and smash a hole in our basement bathroom door. They also wired the thermostat incorrectly so that, after they left, the heat continued to rise until we all woke up sweating in the middle of the night. Thankfully, my husband knows enough about wiring that he was able to fix it himself. Otherwise, we would have had to shut the furnace off entirely on a very cold winter's night. When I called to complain about all of this the representative I spoke with gave us a 'free service appointment' for the following year as compensation--but here's the kicker--it was booked for earlier this week and of course they didn't bother showing up, or even calling to tell us they weren't coming. Honestly, please... steer clear of this company.

John from Scarborough
John from Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

Furnace Repairs

Our furnace broke down recently and we called Mersey to see about getting someone to come give us an estimate. The person I spoke to on the phone was unbelievably rude to me. She was very impersonal and extremely blunt.

The technician who came to look at our furnace didn't take his shoes off or put bags over his dirty shoes. We have brand new hardwood and carpet throughout our house so I was not happy with the lack of consideration.

The technician gave us a $2200 repair estimate and claimed that we need to replace 3 parts: 2 heat exchangers & a gas valve. When I asked him how much a new furnace would be he told me to call sales and refused to give me any type of quote.

At this point we decided to get a few more quotes. The other quotes were all free. The $100 quote from Mersey was pretty expensive considering what had to be done. It only took 20 minutes to look over our furnace. It turns out that the other quotes from different companies claimed we only needed to replace one heat exchanger and a gas valve. The secondary heat exchanger was fine according to 3 other companies. To make matters worse the quotes we received from Mersey on the heat exchangers and gas valve were $200 more than the other companies for the same parts. This is a terrible way to run a business. It's pretty dishonest. I am seriously considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

When Mersey followed up with us via a phone call I explained to the receptionist that we did not have a good experience with Mersey and that we would be getting another company to do the job.

There was a knock on the door on Sat. morning (Nov.30/13) at 8:30 am. It was a Mersey technician saying that I had booked an appointment to get our furnace fixed. I did no such thing. We work nights so we did not appreciate being woken up on our only day off. No one booked an appointment to have a Mersey technician come to our house. There is a serious communication problem with the employees of this company. I tried submitting a feed back form on the Mersey website and the form won't submit. I tried emailing them and their web mail client doesn't seem to be working.at the moment. I will have to call them again. Very frustrating!

Mike from East York
Mike from East York
4 reviews East York, ON

New Furnace, Hot water tank and Aircon

We had a new furnace, hot water tank and air conditioner installed. In addition to this we had the gas hot water tank moved from the laundry room to the furnace room and had plumbing and gas lines redone. We had 3 quotes and Mersey came in the middle on the appliances but was very reasonable on the additional labour. They didn't nickel and dime. They completed the work clean, on time and in a professional manner. Thank you.

Brenda Roeder from Scarborough
Brenda Roeder from Scarborough

Furnace Maintenance

I have used Mersey in the past but will NOT be using them again in the future. The tech came out for a regularly scheduled appt. arriving after the time frame with no apology or explanation and he was only there less than 30 min. All he did was vacuum the furnace and check the flame sensor then recommended we replace it at a cost of appr. $159 then tried to upsell us another service call. TSK TSk Mersey ever since you became part of the American program the service has been terrible.

Hat Barnes from Old Toronto
Hat Barnes from Old Toronto

Furnace cleaning

Horrible...had a very expensive, and later found out very poor job of cleaning both the air conditioner and furnace...my preventative maintenance turned into a costly mistake.

They came, spent two hours doing who knows what, because my next service guy showed me the inside of my filthy furnace.

This was not the problem. After they left, I realized that the A\C was now leaking all over my basement floor. Called them back, they said my drain pan was leaking...they fixed that. (Never leaked before) Only after they has let it leak all over the relay board in the furnace...ruining it. Then they broke the external hose from the unit...telling me that it would cost $200 to repair...to repair something that THEY BROKE!
They sent a guy who cold not speak english..he cut out the part of the hose that leaked, using a connector, and now the hose blocks access to the back of the furnace. He made me sign something to say I would never call about this problem again..he wouldn't leave unless I signed. I didn't know at that point that the leak that they had caused ruined my relay box. Now, furnace clunks unbearably loudly every time the relay activates...$700 relay box...all this for a CLEANING that wasn't even done properly...stay AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE

Kelly Em from Old Toronto
Kelly Em from Old Toronto
1 review Old Toronto, ON

A/C

We got taken to the cleaners by Mersey. We were having work done to the outside of our home and needed to temporarily move the A/C. We called them to get a quote and were told it was $125 to disconnect and move it. We called a 2nd time to set up the appointment and were told it would be $99. The night before the appointment they left us a message telling us it would be $350. We tried desperately to reach someone, but alas no one was available to help us. We called their 24 hour call centre over and over again and they told us they left messages for our local office, but no one got back to us. The worker showed up and told us the price was $350 and he had no way to contact anyone about it .So in this day and age of high tech communications, he could not pick up the phone and call his boss or dispatcher or anyone. Interesting how he had a portable credit card machine with him. Because the other work was starting we had to pay that ridiculous price. We called to complain and they said that they can charge us whatever they want. That may be true, but they are not operating ethically and won't get another cent from us.

What could this company do to improve their services?
Don't bait and switch. Honour the price you quote your customers.
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
Get your quote in writing before they arrive.
drew in Maple
drew in Maple

Furnace

Furnace igniter broke in the middle of winter so had to scramble to get someone in on a Sunday. Called a couple of places and Service Experts was able to find someone to come in on the same day!
The guy came in, checked the furnace, determined the igniter problem and had it replaced. The part costs $20 but the entire service bumped it to around $300. Don't mind it since they were able to fix it especially with a newborn in the house.

Bruce Hyde from Toronto
Bruce Hyde from Toronto

New Furnace

Toronto we are freezing 16-17 when our thermostat says 24. Please we need help. Service Experts installed a brand new furnace but are not able to provide proper heat or pass inspection. Enbridge failed the installation and inspection because it is incorrect boiler or flue size. We are now in the process of finding a new contractor that is able to correct this problem. Weeks of frustration. Much more to follow...

What could this company do to improve their services?
Listen to Enbridge so their customers can have heat.
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
Have a back up contractor in case you get left in the cold.
Francois in North york
Francois in North york
3 reviews North York, ON

New Lennox AC

Sorry about the late reply, but our AC was great all summer! Very courteous and knowledgeable rep came initially and explained our options. Installers were quick, and the electrical inspector from OPA pointed out details that proved the job was done right. Had a snag with the cover not being the right size, but a few weeks later someone came with it.

J. Hancock in North York
J. Hancock in North York

Diagnose and replace blower motor

I always research companies on Homestars but unfortunately did not do that this time when my furnace stopped working. I found Service experts online as they service Lennox furnaces. The customer service for this company is atrocious. When the technician finally arrived to diagnose the problem he was on the phone with his office trying to figure out how to diagnose it and was told over speaker phone that he was using the wrong tool and had the right tool on the wrong setting. He was also told to follow the directions. He then told me that he was going to do it "his way". This does not give a customer a very confident feeling in the technicians ability. He then left the furnace in pieces on the basement floor as he had to have the part ordered and return the following day. When I contacted the company about when they would return as I had no heat, I was put on hold for 25 minutes and then cut off or hung up on. The furnace was eventually fixed the next day and the technician was 2 hours late. The furnace now makes a humming noise and the technician stated I needed the control board replaced. The furnace is 2.5 years old.

I have spoken to 2 people regarding this company and neither had positive things to say regarding this companies customer service or technicians. I have used Homestars on four separate occasions when hiring contractors and have always been happy with the people I've hired based on their ratings. Service Experts have a mediocre rating and I now know why from my own experience. There are many HVAC companies out there and many with exceptional ratings. Next time I will choose one of them. I learned the hard way.

More about Mersey Heating And Air Conditioning

It’s the Right Time to call Mersey Heating & Air Conditioning!

We've changed our look, but not our commitment to you. Mersey Heating & Air Conditioning Heating and Air Conditioning is now part of the Right Time Group of Companies and will continue to serve you as we have for years. Rest assured, we will continue our personalized customer service and honour all of our service plans, guarantees and warranties. We look forward to serving you and your home comfort systems.