Lattag Studio Inc.

Vaughan ON L6A 3E6

Lattag Studio Inc.

Reviews for Lattag Studio Inc.

Martin from Toronto
Martin from Toronto

Drawings for Complete Renovation of Older Row House

I would like to share how valuable Peter’s guidance has been in our renovation project. We have an older row home built in the late 1800s. The house had many issues that needed to be addressed, it was a small space, and we needed more room for our growing family, it is built at-grade with foundation issues, and in need of a complete update and overhaul. Peter’s knowledge and experience with the structural aspects of what needed to be done and his expert design skills were invaluable throughout the design of our project. He guided us through a process that we were completely unfamiliar with. This included first deciding on a new layout for our home and the different option available, towards guiding us through the more technical aspects of what we needed including HVAC, and ultimately to the permit stage where he provided us with very detailed drawings. He is extremely responsive and offered help, guidance, and advice throughout the time we worked together. He is also a really nice guy! We would strongly recommend Peter as an expert architect for your project.

garage floor repair and underpinning

I am so satisfied wit the service. I am trying to repair the garage floor and repair the bottom plate in Scarborough. There were problem with the city permit office. Lattag Studio Inc was able to deal with all the issues with the city engineer. Peter was very good at keeping me up to date with all what was going on. I would have no problem with referring Lattag Studio Inc.

Underpinning, structural modifications, basement finishing

We had a very positive experience working with Peter on our home renovation project. He came recommended from the contractor we hired to underpin our basement, and we ended up hiring him directly to help with additional structural and design
elements. Not only was he meticulous and accurate with his work, he encouraged us to consider ideas and alternatives that we might otherwise have dismissed. Now that the project is done, we’re so glad that we put our trust in Peter and listened to his recommendations!
We have another significant renovation project coming up and have already reached out to Peter to seek his help.

mr.mbradley
mr.mbradley

Load Bearing Wall Removal/Beam Install

My experience with Peter at Lattag was unbelievable. He quite literally saved me from what had turned into a complete mess. We had originally hired a structural engineer to complete drawings to remove a load bearing wall. This engineer seemed legitimate and came to the house 3 separate times to complete measurements. He submitted the drawings to the City to start the building permit process.

After some delay, the City started asking a variety of questions which started to seem suspicious to me. After discussing the questions with the engineer I started to figure out it appeared his measurements were incorrect. I went and remeasured columns in the basement and I found out that the column span the engineer had measured was SIX FEET wider than the actual span (which was only 10 ft). This was causing chaos with the permit and significant delays. I tried to get the engineer to fix these obvious and significant errors, and he basically was just trying to make numbers up to get the permit approved. This had caused a 5 week delay with the permit approval process, pushing back my renovation start time.

I was referred to Peter to help resolve this mess. He was fantastic, I can't say enough about how friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and professional he is. He quickly understood the issues I had raised, we took new measurements all over the house which uncovered how substantially wrong the original engineers measurements really were. He revised the plans, coming up with plans which not only were accurate, but should actually make the wall removal job and beam installation significantly cheaper. He resubmitted the plans to the City and the building permit was issued in 10 days. Amazing work, highly recommend and would happily work with Peter if I had another structural project again. Thank you Peter!

I am very glad we were able to help you out in a pinch M. Thanks for your kind words.

Graeme
Graeme

Basement Reno and Small Rear Extension

We hired Peter to do our permit drawings and get our building permits from the City of Toronto for a basement renovation and small rear extension and deck. He was great! He offered great recommendations that informed our design. He was very fast in responding to any questions we had and was very knowledgeable in terms of what the City's expectations were from zoning to permits. Would definitely hire Peter again.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review Graeme and I hope your project goes well.

Chaim from Vaughan
Chaim from Vaughan

Full Gut Old Home in Toronto

Peter of Lattag Studio was extremely helpful at every stage of what turned to be a very very complicated project. I was gutting a large 70 year old home and needed someone to provide the right plans and know-how to make the home open concept, modern and functional for my family and I. Peter patiently answered every question. He did a ton of revisions (sorry Peter!) because I regularly changed my mind. Even after the permits were received and the job completed, he still helped me out by drawing a helpful sketch in a matter unrelated to the scope of his retainer.
Peter ended up being right every time. His rate was competitive. He understands everything there is to know about building/renovating a home - from underpinning to the roof and everything in between.
He was quite simply a pleasure to work with. Highly recommend! understands everything there is to know about building/renovating a home - from underpinning to the roof and everything in between.
He was quite simply a pleasure to work with. Highly recommend!

Thanks for the great review A.S.

Private User reviews Mississauga, ON

Basement Legalization

I highly recommend working with LATTAG Studio. Peter was at all times professional, courteous, timely and responsive. We purchased our home with a basement that had been finished by the previous owner, but was not up to code. In order for us to rent it out legally, we engaged the help of LATTAG Studio to prepare architectural drawings, and take care of the full permit application process from start to finish. When we were looking for architects, most either didn't want to take this job ("just rent it out, everyone does it that way") or quoted outrageously high fees citing how difficult this process is. Peter of LATTAG Studio took his time to explain the process to us in detail, and provided a fair and reasonable price. Peter spent half a day in our home to complete all measurements, and educated us on areas of particular concern or that might lead to complication or additional costs later on. He was at all times transparent and addressed all our questions. He dealt with the city for our permit application and minor variance application, and attended the hearing. We got our permit approved in a timely and cost efficient manner, and are very happy with the work Peter has done. We will definitely be engaging LATTAG Studio again if we need an architect on a future project.

Thank you very much for your review.

Mathew in Woodbridge
Mathew in Woodbridge

Architectural drawings to expand and reconfigure home

Peter is a real visionary with an incredible ability to identify the most efficient use of limited space. He helped us overcome an architectural
challenge that everyone else told us was not possible. We have a modestly sized 3 bedroom side split raised bungalow that we wanted to renovate to have 4 children's bedrooms on the same level and expand the size of the kitchen and living room dramatically. We had another drafts person prepare some drawings but in order to get the 4 bedrooms on the same level we would lose a large chunk of our backyard to a rear addition. We were never quite comfortable with the design and my wife found Peter online when she was looking for a second opinion. Peter came out to our home and reviewed the drawing with us. He spent quite a lot of time with us that day. He had some ideas but would need to give it some more thought. He urged us to discard the drawings we had and if we wanted him to he was confident he could come up with something much more efficient that would be less expensive to build and would not have us losing so much of the back yard. The drawings he came back with were incredible. His design included a small extension to a portion of the front of the house, added a second level above the lower level to accommodate 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms and most impressively reconfigured the existing interior space of the home in a way that made it so much more usable and efficient. We were blown away. Others had told us it was impossible to make a second story addition to a side split raised bungalow like ours work. Maintaining the majority of the exterior walls would eliminate a logistical problem and the cost of excavating in the rear of our property and allowed us to preserve our backyard. He showed us two possible styles for the front facade and exterior of the home, one that maintained the existing 60's modern low grade roof sloping style and another with a more contemporary style seen in many new model homes today. Both were beautiful, but my wife had seen a newly built home with a particular style she had found especially attractive. We took a picture of the home and sent it to Peter. He made some changes to the exterior plans to follow the styling of the home in the picture and did an amazing job. We love the design. Peter got us the minor variance we needed and has completed the permit drawings and has filed the permit application for us. He has been very easy to talk to and communicate with. He is very patient and his fees at each stage have been reasonable and a very good value. We have been very pleased with Peter throughout and we have recommended him to other family and friends.

Thanks very much Mat.

Theodoros in Toronto
Theodoros in Toronto

Garage

First of all I’d like to say that it will be hard to find someone with better customer service then Peter. I did some renovations to my existing garage and at the time I didn’t know that I needed to apply for a permit. Once I finished my garage the city came knocking at my door telling me that I needed to get a permit. I called around 20 architects and by far he was the only one that was professional and knowledgeable. Once I chose Peter he came to my home and we started the process. It took us around 3 months to get the permit and I was a little worried thinking that the city would make me tear down the garage but Peter kept me calm and reassured me that everything was going to be fine. Peter is a class act.

Thanks very much Ted, I am glad we were able to help. LATTAG Studio

Chris D.
Chris D.

Third-floor addition

This is in reference to the planning and design of our third-floor addition which will replace the attic and existing roof with a new structure that will add living space with a full-height family room, and bathroom, as well as a roof-top terrace.

Right from the start, Lattag Studio was easy to communicate with and advised us on all the things we'd need to consider in the design, and (equally important) in the application process for the required building permits.

After an initial discussion on what we had in mind from a design perspective, Lattag Studio developed an initial concept that gave us a good idea of what our next structure would look like. With a few more tweaks, Lattag Studio's design turned out beautifully. Even our neighbors commented that the design was beautiful when they saw it as part of the Committee of Adjustment materials that were submitted.

During the permit application process, Lattag Studio took all the work off our hands. He even handled the process of going to Committee of Adjustment to get exceptions approved that were outside Toronto's building code.

It's now all set and done - we were issued our building permits last week!
We can highly recommend Lattag Studio to anyone who is thinking of making some changes to their house.

Kind regards,

Chris & Sina

Thanks very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you. LATTAG Studio.

More about Lattag Studio Inc.

LATTAG Studio Inc. is a full service Architecture firm established by OAA Architect Peter Latoszek in 2012.
Since childhood, Peter has been motivated by Architecture to examine and question our built environment. His approach has most often been hands on, as can be seen in the recognition section of our website. These practical explorations of ‘learning through making’ have accumulated into an arsenal of skills and knowledge about sustainable materials and building methods. That along with integrity and care makes LATTAG an essential part of any project (new construction and/or retrofit).