Gem Windows and Doors

Windows & Doors Installation & Service
1590 The Queensway Toronto ON M8Z 1V1

Reviews for Gem Windows and Doors

Door and Window purchase

I’d had good service from Gem on two earlier occasions so I went to them for a third time for windows and doors. Unfortunately this time my experience was extremely negative. The doors I ordered - a major investment for me - were incorrectly drilled, which of course can happen and isn’t the end of the world; however since the error was confirmed on-site by the manufacturer’s representative I have received neither an apology or an acknowledgement from Gem. My emails, phone calls and in-person visit were met with slick buck-passing; as well, there was some truly garbled nonsense when it came to what should have been a completely straightforward exchange of door hardware. I eventually made the necessary door repairs myself so I could secure my home. A nominal refund was eventually authorized through email by the manufacturer. I have sent reminder emails twice and have never received it. These folks will say whatever’s required to get you off the phone: on various occasions I was promised a contractor’s rate (Seymour), free door hardware (Seymour), and that I shouldn’t worry about paying the full amount before they would deliver the doors because they “stand by their product” (Jim). Judging by their arrogant responses to some of their negative reviews, they are incapable of acknowledging when they might be in the wrong. Save your dignity and your money and shop elsewhere.

Deborah.Cowling
Deborah.Cowling

Great storm door

We wanted to purchase a black storm door to complement our front door, and found exactly what we were looking for at Gem Windows and Doors. We made an appointment with Tas and within 5 minutes saw exactly what we wanted- a quality door full glass with an attractive burnished bronze handle. Tas explained a delay in delivery due to covid, and we were fine with that. The door was expertly installed and looks great. Several of our neighbours have commented on it. Great job guys!

Deborah,
Thank you for the review. a storm door can be a great complement to any home, happy you found with you were looking for. Tas is very knowledgable and able to find just the right produce for her customers. COVID did add to some delays this year, but we are still committed to giving great, and safe, service and installation to all our customers.
Thank you again and stay safe!

Private User reviews Milton, ON

New basement windows

When the windows in our home were replaced some years ago, we did not do the basement windows, which were basically permanently jammed. GEM was the only company we found which was interested In a tricky job, as the window wells for a couple of the windows were small and difficult to work in. We were warned that delivery would be slow, due to the pandemic, and the fact that glass is no longer made in Ontario, but once installation was complete, we were very satisfied with the appearance, and the fact that the windows can now be opened when required. Installation was down well, and no need for redecoration.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our experienced installers have an amazing skill set that allows us to take on some installs that other companies may shy away from. COVID-19 has provided us with some challenges and delays this year, but we are still committed to providing a great end result for all our customers.
Thank you again, and stay safe!

Kevin
Kevin

Window replacement parts

GEM installed new windows and doors in my parent’s home over 25 years. Recently the sliding mechanism on one of the windows broke. I contacted Jim Christopoulos and he was able to source the replacement parts at no charge. The windows and doors installed by Jim and his team over two decades ago look and operate like new. I would not hesitate to recommend GEM Windows & Doors.

Kevin,
Thank you for the review. GEM is always partnering with quality suppliers that provide a product that we can be proud of and that will keep our customers happy, two decades later. Happy to hear the Jim was able to help. GEM is always here for their customers no matter how long ago you purchased, we will always strive to do our best.

Ann and Michael
Ann and Michael

Storm Window Replacement

Just had two storm windows replaced in our 80 year old house. The experience with GEM was fabulous. Upon first inquiry, we received a follow up call the next day and an initial assessment made the following week. Waiting for installation was a little long, but understandable due to COVID. Communication was always swift and pleasant. Installation was a breeze. Great all round service.

Hi Ann and Michael,

Thank you for posting this review, GEM takes pride in all our products and installations we do for your customer, you are correct that these are particularly challenging times and at a very busy time of year. GEM will always endeavor to provide expert, professional and timely service to all our customers and as we have for the past 60 years, GEM will always stand behind the products we sell and work we do. Thank you for your business.

AsifH in Ottawa
AsifH in Ottawa

Entire Home Window and Door Replacements

We had all of our windows and doors replaced. It started off as a great experience but has been quite frustrating more recently.

We dealt with Paul in sales in January this year. Paul was professional and courteous. Installation went well. Joe (installer) was an expert, experienced, and a pleasure to work with. The installation was in early June. However, the wrong front door was delivered. We were told that it would be a few weeks for the correct door to come as the manufacturer is usually quick when a mistake is made. However, we waited 3 months and never heard anything from GEM until we reached out to them and they seemed surprised we didn't have our door. This was disappointing as it showed a lack of follow-up on their part.

The manufacturer came and provided a door, but this door had damage. We are not 4 months past installation and still do not have the door we purchased. GEM is not one to follow through, so we have to take the initiative to reach out to the company for updates, but haven't been satisfied in GEM's ability to complete the job.

Overall, I would say that the front end of the experience is excellent, but not sure it is worth it in the end if we don't even get what we paid for. I don't think I would use GEM again in the future - when you spend this much for a major job, you would expect a company to follow through and complete the job.

Michele in Toronto
Michele in Toronto

Replacement windows for entire house

We are extremely happy with our new windows. The service you provided from beginning to end was excellent. The finished product is well made and beautiful.
Most jobs go smoothly but when we had a challenge to overcome your determination to get it done and your professionalism were both outstanding.
We would be very happy to recommend you and be a reference.

Michele,
Thank you for the kind review it is thanks to customers like yourself that have been in business for almost 60 years. We are not perfect, but we are determined in ensuring that our customers are happy with the results. With quality product and exceptional install teams GEM is ready to take on most challenges. We are glad to hear how happy you are with your windows.

Henry in Kanata
Henry in Kanata
1 review Ottawa, ON

Door Latch replacement

Gem had replaced my front and back doors back in 2006. Recently the latch on the front door snapped. I called Gem to see if this could be fixed or if I had to replace the entire door hardware. Its been 14 years since these doors were installed. Gem called me and asked that I send them a picture of the hardware and the snapped latch which I did. Upon review they contacted me and provided me with a replacement part free of charge. Great service and I am very happy I initially chose Gem. I fully recommend them.

Henry,
Thank you for the kind review, we are always happy to hear from our customers. Providing on going service to our customer, even 14 years later, is one of the many reasons that GEM is still in businesses since 1961.

Thank you for the lovely recommendation.

Jacqueline  from Etobicoke
Jacqueline from Etobicoke

Prompt reply to request for part

I contacted Gem Windows & Doors for replacement crank handles for two sets of windows that they had installed a few years ago. Jim Christopoulos looked after it immediately and supplied exactly what I needed, at no cost. The windows are in great shape, but often opened, so I am very pleased to have them working and looking great again. All of our replacement windows and doors have come from Gem.....great quality and great value.

Hello Jacqueline, thank you for the great review. We are glad to have been able to help you. GEM has been in business for almost 60 years and we stand behind all the products we sell and the installations we do and will continue to do so for all our customers.

Patrick Longhurst in Etobicoke
Patrick Longhurst in Etobicoke

Helping me out with a minor problem

GEM installed a number of windows for us back in 2015 and they have been great. When a small piece of window hardware broke recently, I felt very comfortable in contacting Jim Christopoulos. He was able to find the right piece for me and I picked it up today from the reception desk - no charge. That is amazing service. Thank you Jim. Patrick Longhurst

Patrick,
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. Happy to hear that we were able to get that part for you so quickly. We have been in business since 1961 and will continue to provide service to our customers.

More about Gem Windows and Doors

Gem Windows and Doors is Toronto's oldest and most trusted window and door retailer, serving South Western Ontario for over 55 years! Our showroom is designed to offer our customers choices from a wide range of window and door products. We specialize in custom window design and fabrication. We source windows worldwide to meet our customer’s requirements.

Windows & Doors Installation & Service
Today’s vinyl windows are high-tech, ENERGY STAR approved, double and triple glazed, painted with a host of accessories such as brick moulds and interior jambs. Aluminum windows are efficient and thermally broken. They have found their way back to residential homes, in addition to commercial uses. Of course, GEM can also supply wood windows and fiberglass windows. Hybrid windows can be either aluminum clad wood or vinyl or even wood-vinyl composites. GEM is now a distributor for Mastergrain Fiberglass Doors, the leading fiberglass residential entry door. Of course, we carry complete packages of insulated steel doors and wood doors. Don’t forget our fire rated products and commercial doors! Modern homes are utilizing doors that could be considered walls! Lift and Slide Doors can be built in sizes only dreamed about, as can Bi-fold doors and multi-track stacking doors. We must not leave out a full complement of patio doors which GEM offers! A great door requires a great screen and GEM has the pleated retractable and roll-away screens you need. GEM has storm doors to meet your custom as well as standard requirements. Quality Window coverings include a host of blind and shade styles. These are not only the hand operated types but include both hard-wired and solar powered units that raise and lower at the push of a button. GEM also offers interior partitions, interior doors, shower enclosures and glass enclosures inside your home. GEM can manufacture and install railing, canopies, solariums and porch enclosures!
Come to GEM for the best selection for window and door sales and installation. We are fabricators of aluminum windows and sub-fabricator of selected products. We can provide your custom products for new construction and renovation.
Our brands include Pella, Armor, NanaWall, Cardinal Glass, Royal Plastics, Energi, Synergy, Spartan, Windspec, Everlast, Old Castle Glass, Emtek, EntryGuard, Dorplex, Palma, Sunview, Novatech, Mastergain, GEM Transitional and GEM Contemporary. These cover the full range of styles such as modern, traditional, transitional, new constructions, custom, renovation and urban.
GEM is able to provide all the architectural and construction styles you require. We carry modern windows and doors. Traditional will always have a place. Transitional products bridge the gap between modern and traditional.
GEM is your one-stop problem solver. Is it getting noisy when you want to sleep? We are experts at soundproofing windows to reduce sound transfer into your home. We invite you to visit our showroom to speak to our professional sales team, to learn more about our high quality custom products.
1961
All products made to order
Cash, Cheque, Visa, Mastercard, and Financing Available
GEM is a licensed contractor and maintains a manufacturing license. We are WSIB participants, member
SAWDAC, BBB